Mental Health First Aid Course
3rd March @ 9:30 am - 4th March @ 4:00 pm
Please note that places are for this event are limited and bookings need to be made by Monday 17th February.
This two day (3rd and 4th March 2020) interactive course facilitated by Alison Ebbitt (see biography below ), includes different activities, films, discussions and even some fun and laughter.
You will get a certificate of attendance and a colourful and interesting manual to take away with you at the end so that you can remind yourself of what you’ve learned.
The course will cover –
• How to respond if you believe someone is at risk of suicide
• How to give immediate help until professional help is available
• What to say and do in a crisis
• The importance of good listening skills
• Practice listening and responding
• Understanding recovery from mental health problems
• Understanding the connection between mental health problems and alcohol and drugs
• Understanding the connection between mental health problems and discrimination
• Some basic information about common mental health problems
• Self help information
The aims of the course are:
• To preserve life
• To provide help to prevent the mental health problem or crisis developing into a more serious state
• To promote the recovery of good mental health
• To provide comfort to a person experiencing distress
• To promote understanding of mental health issues
The course will give you the knowledge to apply these aims in a real life situation
Alison is very committed to improving access to information about mental health and challenging stigma surrounding talking about mental health openly. She is qualified social worker, mental health officer, counsellor, family mediator and has worked for many years delivering SMHFA and SMHFA: YP courses. She is very proud to be a member of the national training team and enjoys the challenges. Alison also teaches and tutors on the law course at Strathclyde and Edinburgh Law School.
Costs: £160 for Scottish Mediation members (£200 for non members), including manual, lunch and refreshments.
Please note that this venue is located on the first floor with a large staircase, but does not have lift access.
TO BOOK THIS COURSE PLEASE CLICK HERE