- This event has passed.
Masterclass in GDPR and Information Governance
21st May 2018 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
GDPR (the General Data Protection Regulations) will be implemented on 25 May 2018.
This half-day workshop is designed to provide a sound understanding of the detail and impact of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), where that builds on data protection and what you need to consider to become GDPR compliant.
Based on practical experience and working through information sharing, discussions and a range of tools, including case studies, the course provides a range of tools to help you understand:
- Personal data – what is it, and what is sensitive personal data
- Sole trader v limited company: the impact your legal status has on GDPR compliance
- The value of information to your organisation, and the risks if it is poorly managed
- Retention schedules: how long must records be kept?
- Your role as a data controller (in your own business) and as a data processor (when you are working in or for other businesses)
- A review of the current data protection principles – where are you now?
- A review of the GDPR principles and how they relate to data protection – where do you need to be?
- What is new with GDPR and what does that mean in practical terms for the work you do – how do you get there?
- Case studies
- Managing risk in information governance
- How to develop data asset audits of both manual and electronic records across your organisation
- Data breaches – and how to deal with the ICO and contractor
This is very much a practical, interactive workshop, at the end of which you should be clear on what your responsibilities are. You will also know where you need to start on strengthening your own processes and how you work with others, to ensure you adopt an approach to GDPR that meets the needs of your organisation, your clients and your stakeholders, as well as the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulations.
Kirstine Fergusson, Director, KFGovernanceSolutions Ltd
Kirstine has many years’ experience as a senior manager in the NHS, Local Authorities and in the Scottish Health Department. She spent 10 years as a member of the Executive Team of Alternative Futures Group, a large mental health and learning disability charity in the North-West of England, before returning to Scotland in May 2017. She now runs her own business providing support and advice on corporate and charity governance, risk and strategy, and GDPR and information governance. A Prince 2 practitioner and a qualified archivist she is a trustee for Mobee UK and a member of the IoD, the IRMS and the Scottish Council on Archives
Costs: £70 per attendee for non members and £35 for SM members. (Organisational members can send up to 2 people at member rates).
Booking: For booking details please click here