Thank you for your interest in our peer mediation training. We would be delighted to support your school or organisation to develop mediation/conflict resolution skills and to start on the path towards a more positive and peaceful environment for your young people.
The benefits of peer mediation training include:
- offering young people a technique that they can use to have positive conversations especially when dealing with difficult situations
- encouraging young people to develop and sustain healthy relationships, building resilience, both now and in the future
- supporting young people with their emotional and mental wellbeing
- supporting young people to develop the skills needed to deal positively with disagreements
Following the delivery of any training we are able to support you and your young people to develop a sustainable peer mediation service within your setting by email or telephone discussion.
There are two main training options for developing peer mediation within your school/organisation – training directly with your young people and Training for Trainers for adult staff.
The training is aimed at young people from age 10-18 (P5-S6).
Option 1 – Training directly with Young People
- The training takes place in-house on two full consecutive days
- The training takes a fun, interactive approach to learning peer mediation skills
- The training will be delivered by experienced Scottish Mediation trainers and would train a maximum of 24 young people
- There must be at least two adult staff present during the entire period of training (one should be the person who will be taking on the peer mediation coordinator role). We encourage the adults to join in with the training alongside the pupils
- The training area must have space to run around and allow for the training to be delivered without interruption
- Support will be given before and after the training to develop the peer mediation service and to ensure that the skills learned are preserved
- Relevant resources and a toolkit will be provided in advance of the training. A certificate of training will also be provided for all course participants.
- The cost for the two-day course is £950 plus travel expenses (we don’t charge VAT)
Option 2 -Training for Trainers (for adult staff)
- Takes place either face-to-face at our offices in central Edinburgh or online
- Face to face option over one full day
- Online option spread over two shorter sessions
- Training supports participants to develop an understanding of peer mediation and how to train young people in peer mediation skills in a fun and interactive way
- Participants will be encouraged to return to their setting to deliver training and support young people to set up a peer mediation service
- Pre and Post training support and relevant toolkit provided. A certificate of training will also be provided for all course participants. The cost of Training for Trainers is £190 per person (£170 for Scottish Mediation members).
We would be happy to discuss any aspect of peer mediation training with you. Please call 0131 556 1221 or email firstname.lastname@example.org