Mediation works – not only is mediation usually successful in reaching agreement, but people are more likely to stick to that agreement rather than when something was decided by others for example in grievance and complaints procedures or in court.
- helps people to solve problems that they are facing
- is confidential and unbiased
- encourages early resolution of disagreements
- puts the people involved in control of the outcome
- is less formal than grievance and complaints procedures or court proceedings
- is less stressful
- could be cheaper
- could resolve your dispute quicker
- shows that you are keen to resolve your dispute amicably
- enables ongoing relationships to be maintained
Mediation is used more and more to support the resolution of conflict in a wide variety of contexts.
The examples listed here are not exclusive. If you would like to discuss whether your issue is suitable for mediation call the Scottish Mediation Helpline on 0131 556 8118.